Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The next bit....

I bought a new pair of running shoes the day of the seminar. The next night after work ( I work 6.30am - 6.00pm ) I went on the first run I had been on in 12 years. I am an ex representative triathlete, cyclist etc... so it was nostalgic. I had already driven the 2.4km track and needed to know how far I was off the pace. I did it in 12.02 and needed a 10.50 for a pass. On top of that I had to do 34 press ups , with the correct set up meaning my palms were 92 cm apart, hard work. I could do about 7. A vertical jump of 48cm and I could do about 40cm was also in the mix.
I set up a training programme, running one day, press ups the next and plyometrics for jumping the next and so on.
By December I had the run down to about 10.55 and could do 30 press ups on a good day, my jump was crap and I needed help with that. I went to a practice PAT ( Physical Appraisal Test )
and managed to run a 10.34, do 35 press ups but only 18 counted, jumped 45 cm and grip tested 120kg needing 96kg so that was ok.
I needed to blitz it though. You only really get 2 chances to pass the actual PAT so when I got home I really dug it in.

No comments: