Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The rest....

I have now done my 40hours work experience with the Alexandra police and all my paperwork is in with my history, employment etc.. I have to study a 40 page document on the NZ Police as I am getting tested on it at my formal interview. I have to get 20 out of 28 right plus pass a typing test with a speed of 25 wpm or better.
I get to my interview and now its June, I think it goes well but could have been better. I pass my tests with 27/28 and typing of 33 wpm.
I now only have my medical and eyesight clearance to go, and oh yeah, another PAT if I am provisionally accepted for training.
Its now 3rd July 2008 and its my second PAT. There are 2 others doing their finals and 4 doing their initials. I look at them knowing what they still have to go through. None of them pass.
I pass with a 10.13 for run, 51cm jump, 43 press ups and 128kg grip. The other 2 also pass their finals.
The only thing in our way now is not passing medicals. I breeze through mine and am told that I have a placement for August 4th Intake.
There is still some finalising to go but I am in!
That is the winding road to NZ Police College for me, and now the hard work really begins.
Whilst not everyones' road to college this one is mine. It can never show how hard it really was but to give you an idea I have run over 2500km , thats running from Cape Reinga to Bluff and back up to Oamaru, in 9 months and done over 7000 press ups all the time juggling family, work and what little leisure time I might end up with. I have used 2 weeks worth of paid holidays and this with other expenses like travelling has cost me more than $2000, but I feel great. I've never been fitter, I am back and being involved in my community. Will add more as college goes on but hope this gives people a insight in to what it takes to get into the New Zealand Police.

No comments: